Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Super Styling

I bought a bookcase a few weeks ago. I am a total bookworm but have never owned a bookcase. Well besides the hutch/desk combo I had when I was a kid!

So anyway I decided on Ikea’s biggest Expedit bookcase and as much as I like how fresh white home offices look, with most of my ornaments being white or silver I thought the black/brown colour would make them pop more. Plus most of my other furniture around the house is dark so it's keeping with the same theme.

So here is the beauty at about the 2 glasses of wine mark


I then traded a night out to stay in and super style it, moving books around, trips to Ikea for more storage boxes and some creative fluffing until I got the right look.


I was so chuffed with how it was taking shape. That was until I remembered the boxes of books I’d left behind at my parents when I moved out years ago.

Bugger

I had to start all over again after I unpacked another 4 boxes of dusty 10 years sitting in a shed books (as well as some of my parents old landscaping books which will no doubt come in handy). I pretty much took everything off and started again as I didn't want it to look too cluttered and kept thinking of all the ideas I'd read  "keep it in a zig zag", "don't put stuff above and below", "balance". Harder said than done. It took ages to get the right look with books, stacks, ornaments, the works.

This is how it looks now in all its glory
 



Probably needs a bit of tweaking still but I'm pretty happy with it. Absolutely grinning with satisfaction in fact! It's like I have my own personal library and with ready access to cookbooks it makes thinking of what to cook for dinner so much easier and my magazines all sorted and easy to access. Just love it.

Styling a bookcase really is an art form isn't it.

So tell me are you as fussy and meticulous with styling your bookcase as I was?

[All images my own]

 
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I love this bookcase! I have often thought about making one similar. What a great piece. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. I am enjoying looking through your home projects. So nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jealous....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So artfully organized! I am very grateful you shared!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!