Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Book Club: The Garden Of Eden By Ernest Hemingway

My July Book Club read was The Garden Of Eden By Ernest Hemingway

Our book club like to mix up the old classic books and new modern books so it was refreshing to have this book to read by the renowned writer Ernest Hemingway


This book is about a happily married couple on their honeymoon and the wife turns into a bit of a nutter and invites another woman into their lives. It is as disturbing as it sounds and you know it is going to end badly. Three is always a crowd!

I found the writing in this book very description and other times very vague, I never felt a connection with any of the characters as I didn't feel they gave enough away about themselves to get to know them.

I have read Hemingways The Old Man And The Sea in High School and know he is a brilliant writer but this book? I'm sorry it's a shocker! I dare say this one may never have made it to print if Hemingway was alive at the time it was published - this book was put together from his notes, cut down dramatically, and published some years after his death.

I would recommend this book to Hemingway lovers to see the other side of his writing style. I give this book 2 stars.

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read 


[Image via Booktopia]

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! I've been wanting to read some hemingway again. I just read the paris wife, which is a fictional account of his relationship with his wife (in real life). I haven't read any of his books since high school. love that your book club mixes things up! a little old school is good every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Michelle! Love the candor.
    I have no desire to read Hemingway. Not sure why. Not much into old groggins. Re-runs of Neighbours might be in order ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting...my book club never goes for the classics and they are my hands down favorite. i recently read The Sun Also Rises....a sad commentary on a lifestyle and age...we had some great dinner discussions about the book with my kids...I forgot how brilliantly stupid high schoolers are!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!