Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Painted Stripes Project Take 2

My tears have dried since the stripe sabotage incident and a few weeks on, a bit of plaster and sanding, painting again and the art is hung - my stripe wall has evolved and is complete and what I've learnt from this is life's little stuff ups can sometimes put you on the right track ... keep reading you'll see why!
 
To refresh your memory this is my painted stripe entrance wall at front door of my home
 
 
The not so awesome chunk that got knocked out of it only 1 week later
 
 
I needed to paint another stripe over the patch that was fixed but was unsure what colour to use - I didn't have enough charcoal paint left and was too much of a tight ass to buy more so I decided to bring some colour into the equation.

I got a 0.5L pot of Wattyl Atlantica paint in the gift bag at the School of Real Living workshop I went to earlier this year. I was a little scared but a little excited about how this colour would look, but as it's the same tone as the charcoal and I learnt all about colour tones in my recent studies I felt confident that the colours would blend well together.
 
 
 
So here we go again measuring, drawing the lines, taping it carefully and ready to paint




Don't laugh but I couldn't find the small roller sleeve so I attempted to use a large one but it was just a mess! So a mercy dash to Bunnings was necessary to get me another roller and do the job properly.
 
 
 
Unfortunately you could still see the dark charcoal line I had tried to cover through the paint, so I got some sandpaper on it and lightly sanded the line back and then did 2 thick coats of paint - I tell you this stripe sabotage was a pain in the butt to fix!
 
 
 
 
I forgot about this metal wall art I had bought on sale at Target. It was looking a bit scuffed so Mr P gave it a few coats of white spray paint and it came up a treat. The whitest of whites was going to look fantastic against the dark charcoal background, I love the use of colour behind artworks it really makes them pop.

 

 
These are the 2 pictures that inspired me to paint the stripes and hang up some art in the first place
 
 
 
And this is my finished project
 


 
Ironically I have now used both colours in my inspiration photos teal and charcoal which just goes to show that everything happens for a reason and if you always see the positive in life things will always work out ok in the end!
 
 
[All images my own]
 
Pin It Now!

18 comments:

  1. I really like the teal. We used a similiar color in my son's room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great!! I wish I was brave enough to play around with painting my walls!

    -Fotini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, and good save. Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cut out artwork. So stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks excellent! Brave decision that paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks better than the original. I love the teal colour, and the stripe you have done is just enough of it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness it all worked out in the end I say, even if was a lot of extra work! It does look good and that artwork is just the perfect size to fit where it does. I'd be tempted to attach some wall corner protectors of some variety now, for the next few weeks at least!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow I love what you did! The wall art is brilliant, love it x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! Really love the charocal and teal colours together with the pop of white. I love it when this kind of experiment pays off :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The teal was a great choice! I am too scared to paint stripes on my walls. I bet they would end up slanted or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks wonderful! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks even better with the addition of the new color and the white piece of art. Looks like the knocking into the wall was actually a serendipitous moment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like how your wall turned out! Those colors look fabulous together. If I ever have a home of my own to transform, I will be begging you for advice and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks awesome and I think the wall sabotage turned out to be a good thing because the addition of that teal stripe is fabulous!! Paired with that piece from Target which I love and the whole thing is amazing!! Great job!! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks amazing! Love the metal wall art! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out great didn't it, and you used your School Of Real Living paint! Awesome! I haven't used mine yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great! I love the additional colour you added

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much I love the pop of colour it brings as you walk in the front door :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!