Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Book Club: The Little Coffee Shop Of Kabul By Deborah Rodriguez

The October Book Club read was The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez (also published under the name of A Cup of Friendship)


This is a story about 5 very different women 2 Americans, 1 British and 2 Afghans who live in Kabul, Afghanistan and meet in a little coffee shop and form a friendship.
This is a very easy book to read, the writing style flowed and was written in a storytelling kind of way. Keeping up with the characters was a bit of a challenge at times as it jumped from one to the other, but I found each woman and even the men characters very likable with interesting lives. I would have liked to know the characters more I felt they were skimmed over quickly so either the book needed to be longer and more detailed, or less characters to get to know them properly.
This is the first book I have read about Afghans, Muslims and life in this part of the world. It gave me insight into the customs and pride of the family, the sad stories of girls being given away when families have no money, what it's like to live with suicide bombers on your street, and life before the Taliban rule and after. 
I would recommend this book to the women of the world it will make you appreciate where you are from and other customs. This book will warm your heart.

I give this book 3 stars.
Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read
[Image via RandomHouse.com]
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. This book has been on my 'to red' list for some time now so your review was much welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really don't realise just how lucky we are here in OZ. Loved your review. Have a splendid weekend.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read quite a few books about Afghanistan. My favourite one is non-fiction, called "The Sewing Circles of Herat" by Christina Lamb. Maybe you would like to check my blog about it: http://momobookblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/lamb-christina-sewing-circles-of-herat.html. I also have an Afghanistan "tag" where you find all the others I read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS for your post.

    Stopping by from Carole's Travel Post.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!