Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Book Club: The Light Between Oceans by M L Stedman

The August Book Club read was The Light Between Oceans by M L Stedman.
 
I was on the waiting list at the Library for this book and only got my hands on it 1 week before our Book Club meet up so I've been speed reading to get it finished in time, which thankfully wasn't hard to do because it turned out to be a great book.
 
 
This is the story of a couple who live on a remote island off the coast of Western Australia and look after the light house. The story is based around a baby being washed up ashore and then the decision to keep the baby and the consequences that follow. The story also covers the parents of the missing child, and their respective families, and the town folk in the small country town.

This was quite a sad book, with it being set after the war in the early 1900s and the tales of lives lost and how life changed for many in those days. I was really torn as to who I wanted the child to be with, if you read the book you will see why as it shares both sides of the story.

I enjoyed the writing style in the book and found it really engaging, easy to follow, and had me keep on turning the pages. Being from Perth and having travelled around most of Australia, I really liked the references to different parts of Australia and could imagine where the story was, the bush, the wildlife and the ocean.

I would recommend this book to Australians and those interested in the history of our beautiful country. Also to readers who love a good drama.
 
I give this book 4 stars
 
Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
 
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read
 
 
 
Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. Oh wish I knew you wanted to read it, I could have lent you my copy. I LOVED it. I got it from my son as a Xmas gift and had it read by Boxing day! I agree with your rating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bugger I wish I had of known that too! Was hard to get hold off and lots of reservations at all the librarys for it. It was a great read, glad you liked it too :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great read. I love novels where I can reference the place it is set in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there was lots of talk about Australia during the war and the happening places to be in Sydney and such ... unlike sleepy Fremantle in WA :)

      Delete
  3. Have it on iPad, going to e my next read after Shadowfell xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I hope you like it. Im sure you will :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!