Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, August 4, 2014

Book Review: Down Outback Roads By Alissa Callen

This is a book review of Down Outback Roads by Alissa Callen that was published on 1 May 2014.
 
Alissa is Australian born and raised on a farm and now lives in rural outback New South Wales with her children, husband, dogs, horses and cows - yes a true country girl! This is Alissa's second novel.


This is a country romance based in a drought affected town Glenalla in country New South Wales.

The two main characters are torn between love, loss and loyalty - Ewan a young farmer lad who doesn't think he deserves to be happy and fall in love and Kree a young America girl who thinks taking care of her adventurous brother should overshadow her own happiness.

I enjoyed the story of life on the farm but it wasn't really believable - leaving Kree to look after a farm with absolutely no experience was pretty unrealistic and there is no way you could spend your days pottering around in the vegetable garden or painting all day when there was farm work to be done!

I liked all the characters in the book, especially the town folk stereotypes.

I really wanted to like this book more but struggled with the writing style, there were way too many describing words for every single thought and action. I also found Ewan and Kree's resistance at love pretty wearing at times.

I recommend this book to fans of country romance and American's with an interest in living in Australia.

I give this book 2 stars out of 5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


Down Outback Roads can be purchased from Random House here

Sharing my book review on Good Reads here

Disclosure: Random House Australia and NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote their books and I was given this eBook to review. As always, all opinions are my own.


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram

[Image via Random House]

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!