Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Girls Weekend Away .... Kalgoorlie Bound

Since my recent holiday at home post I've been thinking about my girls weekend away to Kalgoorlie for the Kalgoorlie Cup next month.

Now I know some of you may find this amusing .... although I'm a city girl now I really am a country girl at heart. Nowadays I follow fashion, always wear lipstick, scream when I see bugs and like my cushions to match the decor at home. But I wasn't always like that .....

All dressed up for my country hoe down housewarming party!
I think the look I was going for was a cross between Dolly Parton and Daisy Duke!!

Growing up my Mum had to beg and bribe me to put on a dress and I'd only agree to get out of my jeans once a year for a special occasion! My idea of dressing up was wearing clear mascara and my hair in a pony tail. I use to collect spiders from the shearing shed on the farm and bring them up to the house in a jar until my Dad would find them and make me take the creepy crawlies back again!

When my girlfriends suggested we all head to the Kalgoorlie Cup this year for a weekend of fun and festivities that country girl inside me got all excited .... red dirt, sunny days and laid back people sounds like an amazing adventure!

It's time for this city girl to go country again!
  
Outback wrangling in Queensland!
For those who are wondering where the heck Kalgoorlie is - it's an outback town in the far west of Western Australia about 6 hours drive from Perth. I've been to Kalgoorlie a couple of times - I've gone by car, train, bus and plane. This time around we're catching a plane because it's the quickest way to get there, it takes 1 hour which means we'll get the most out of our weekend away.

To paint a picture of Kalgoorlie ..... there's red dirt everywhere (so don't wear all white!), barren but beautiful landscapes, clear blue skys, stinking hot days and chilly cool nights. It's an outback country town probably best known for the number of pubs on the towns main street - finding a cold beer here is never a problem.
Roadside views like this are seen on the way to Kalgoorlie
Our beautiful rustic Australian bush
The event that a lot of visitors come for is the Kalgoorlie Cup which is on 19 - 20 September this year and the place to be is Tentland with food, drinks, entertainment and of course horse races! I love watching the horses line up ready to race and the excitement as the horses and their jockeys power towards the finishing line ..... I hope I pick some winners!
I can't wait for this girls weekend away .... the promise of an adventure awaits and it's definitely helping me beat the travel bug with a holiday at home.

I'll let you know how our weekend away goes and remember you can keep up to date with my adventures on Facebook and Instagram too!

 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

[First 2 images my own - Special thanks to Dakota Johnston for last 2 images]

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting a weekend away with the family but thinking a road trip to Kalgoorlie might be just a tad too far. The cup does sound like a lot of fun.

    By the way you rated a little mention on the Mystery Case blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its a bit of a long hike for the weekend, thats why we've chosen to fly :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds so fun! And, I love the term 'outback town'! That photo of you at the top hardly looks like you, I had to do a double-take! So funny! I remember wearing clear mascara when I was younger, too! Oh, those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of outback towns around OZ!
      I know blonde isnt really a good look for me is it :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!