Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Book Review: The Passenger By Lisa Lutz

This is a book review of The Passenger by Lisa Lutz that was recently published by Simon and Schuster on 1 March 2016.

Lisa Lutz is the author of nine novels, which includes a six book series and a childrens book. Lisa has won the Alex award and has been nominated for the Edgar Award for best novel for her series. Lisa lives in Hudson Valley, New York.


This is a mystery and thriller about a young woman known as Tanya who is on the run after her husband accidentally dies. It becomes clear after such a drastic decision to go on the run that Tanya is also running from other ghosts of her past.

As Tanya's past starts to catch up with her she changes her identity throughout the story, with each American town she passes through, and takes on the personality traits of the person she is portraying at the time.

This story is fast paced with a few key characters - a bartender who leaves you wondering if she's really a friend or enemy, a policeman looking for the true Tanya, and a high school sweetheart who stays in touch via email.

I liked the characters but I didn't particularly warm to Tanya, I don't think she wanted to be likable, it was part of her cover and how life on the run had hardened her.

There was a lot of action, twists and turns but there were also some gaps to the story which left me feeling unfulfilled at the end - perhaps that was the author's intention to leave the reader guessing.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in life on the run and living off the grid.

I give this book 3 stars out of  5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd give up a bottle of the worlds best champagne for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


The Passenger can be purchased from the author here and Simon and Schuster


Sharing my book review on Good Reads here and Netgalley


Disclosure:  NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote authors and their books and I was given this ebook published by Simon and Schuster to review. As always, all opinions are my own.


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter



[Image via Lisa Lutz

Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I always love your book reviews and to review them for free! Plus, I am sure you read a lot of different books this way that you normally wouldn't select. I think I will pass on this one, but thank you for the honest review!!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can join NetGalley for access to books to read and review on your blog, before the books are even published which is awesome! You are right it has opened my reading genre so I read all types of books, but I still only select the books I like the sound of, no sci fi or horror genre books on my reading list!

      Delete
  2. Not sure I like the sound of this book either. I do like my main character to be likeable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!