Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, February 24, 2017

Nursery Design - The Perfect Nursing Chair

Sometimes I get stuck on finding the perfect piece of furniture and become a little bit obsessed about it and this is exactly what happened when I tried to find a nursing chair for our baby's nursery.

To start with I asked Mr P what style of chair he thought would be good in the nursery .... He asked what do I needed a chair for? If my death stare wasn't enough the harshly spoken answer that followed along the lines of because I'll be up all bloody night and I need somewhere to bloody sit and rest my bloody head made sense to him and his answer soon turned into ..... Whatever chair you want will be perfect babe! Good answer hubby, good answer!!


So the mission to find a perfect nursing chair began !


I asked my Mum's advice on what type of nursing chair she had with me .... She laughed and laughed and said she didn't have a nursing chair it was the bed, the couch, or whatever was close by! 

Oh how things have changed over the years with us new Mum-To-Be's being spoilt for choice when it comes to all things baby!


I asked my sister in law what type of nursing chair she had and she suggested a glider which is a chair with a foot stool attached. When I sat on a glider in the baby shops it made me feel nauseas with all that rocking I just couldn't do it!

I also felt that this style of chair wouldn't fit with the rest of the furniture in our home and when it was no longer needed in the nursery we wouldn't really have anywhere to put it.


Similar to a glider is a rocking chair and whilst there are some great styles around the movement gave me the same sick feeling as the glider.

The main difference between a glider and a rocking chair is that the foot stool also moves with the glider whereas with the rocking chair your feet are stationery either on a separate foot stool or on the ground.


I read a lot of reviews online for the perfect nursing chair and the Ikea Poang chair was a firm favourite amongst Mums. It's inexpensive and it has movement in the back to bounce back and forth but it's not a rocking chair (although Ikea do a rocking chair version).

The only thing I didn't love about the Poang is the wooden arms as they didn't look very comfortable.


I asked friends who suggested a comfortable armchair with soft arms.

Sounds easy enough but most of the armchairs I sat in at furniture shops had a low back and were quite small and not at all comfortable. Whilst I want the chair to look good it needs to be comfortable first and foremost - practical over pretty!


So I came to the conclusion my perfect nursing chair must have -
Padded arms + A high back + No rocking motion

It suddenly dawned on me that a wing chair has all the makings of a perfect nursing chair.

It has padded arms, the seat is wide and cushioned and it has a nice high back for head support.

Plus it looks beautiful it's a really stylish design so would look great in the living room or bedroom when it's no longer needed in the nursery.


Now because I'm doing the nursery on a budget and didn't want to spend too much on a new chair which would most likely get covered in baby vomit in the very near future so I started stalking Gumtree for secondhand wing chairs.

I couldn't believe my luck when I came across the Ikea Strandmon Wing Chair for half price (RRPs for $399 I paid $150) and it was only 6 months old - the bargain queen strikes again!

I had even recommended to a friend this style of Ikea Wing Chair as a nursing chair when I helped her design her nursery so I don't know why I hadn't thought of this chair sooner!




What I love about this chair is when it's not needed for nursing the baby it can be used as a reading chair in the nursery and when it outgrows the room it would fit in nicely in our living room or even our bedroom.

I'm really happy with our latest addition to the nursery and I'm feeling good about the progress we've made so far in setting up the baby's room ready for her arrival in May!

What would be your perfect nursing chair?

 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[Images via my Pinterest 1, 1A2, 3, 4, 5, 6, last image my own]

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! My favourite was the gliding rocking chair style with matching gliding foot stool. But I rarely used it to be honest. I'd always end up on the couch in front of the TV or back in bed falling asleep with the baby by my side. The chair was great to begin I just got so bored with sitting around breast feeding that I'd gravitate to other rooms.

    I think the idea of having a chair that turns into a reading chair is a great idea. Then when it's no longer needed in the bedroom it can go in a guest room or lounge room. Our "made for nursing" gliding rocker wasn't really any good anywhere but the nursery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard good things about the glider it just wasn't the one for me made me feel a bit sea sick! I will probably end up on the couch in front of the tv like you but at least the chair can serve other purposes when I'm not nursing :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!