As promised I'm sharing my Christmas Eve entree dish Crayfish and Prawn Cocktail which I modified slightly from the original recipe to use my own sauce, less lettuce and more prawns.
I made the crayfish and prawn mix ahead of time and kept in containers and also chopped all the other ingredients and kept in sandwich bags so I was ready to assemble and serve when ready - I love dishes like that you can prepare ahead of time it makes for a stress free party dish.
I'll be honest this was an expensive dish to make for 6 serves it cost $55 for the crayfish and prawns alone not including the other ingredients. There was only just enough meat from 1 crayfish so if I made this again I'd use 2 crayfish which would bring the cost up to $75 which would make this a special occasions dish only. Having said that it does look pretty spectacular and I got lots of ohhhs and ahhhs carrying them to the table!
Crayfish and Prawn Cocktails
3 iceberg lettuce leaves finely shredded
6 red tipped lettuce finely shredded
3 spring onions finely chopped
1kg cooked Australian tiger prawns, peeled, deveined and chopped (keep 1 whole prawn for each person for a garnish)
1 crayfish, cooked and meat chopped (keep legs for garnish)
3 tsp seafood sauce
1 tbs thousand island dressing
1. You'll need 6 cocktail glasses and layer the ingredients as you go.
2. Chop crayfish meat and put into a small bowl and stir in thousand island dressing and cracked pepper and then spoon into bottom of glass.
3. Top with spring onions.
4. Top with iceberg lettuce and red tipped lettuce pushing down to fill.
5. Chop prawn meat and put into a small bowl and stir in seafood sauce and cracked pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Then spoon into top of glass.
6. Garnish with a whole prawn on side of each glass and some crayfish legs.
7. Serve and enjoy.
The prawns and crayfish before
Prawns peeled, chopped and sauced up
Crayfish cooked, chopped and sauced up
Layer into your glasses - crayfish, spring onion, lettuces and prawns
Serve and enjoy
Sharing with link parties Savvy Southern Style and The Dedicated House ... why don't you head on over and see what everyone else is linking up!
[All images my own]