Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Confession From A Magazine Addict

Hello world, my name's Michelle and I'm a magazine addict ... there I've said it step one is admitting I have a problem! But times they are a changing and I've accepted I have an obsession with glossy shiny magazines and it's time to cull the collection.
 
 
Over the last 4 years I've subscribed to Real Living, Australian House and Garden, Delicious and Super Food Ideas .... now if you multiply that by 12 months in a year you have yourself a stack of almost 50 magazines a year ... that's a lot of reading and I hate to admit it but a bit of time wasting as well. 



To me there's nothing more exciting than getting a fresh crisp new magazine in the mail box ... I love the way they look with their beautiful bright colours and smooth glossy pages. At this moment I subscribe to two magazines Real Living is my go to bible for home inspiration and I cashed in my Flyby points for a years subscription to Super Food Ideas which have really simple and easy recipe ideas. 


With the steady flow of magazines coming into the home each month and my 6 magazine holders full, 2 huge drawers in the coffee table filled to the brim and now a secret stash building up in the study it's time for me to part with my much loved magazines. See that's my problem, after I've read them I can't get rid of them .... Well until now that is.
 
 
So I've been going through the food magazines and tearing out recipes I want to try and after I've tried the recipe if I like it and i'll make it again I write it into my recipe book. I now have a stack of 2 years worth of food magazines to pass onto friends.
 
 
The home magazines are so much harder to part with because they have so many pictures I like, interesting articles, how tos, they are like my inspiration bible. But to beat this addiction now when the magazines are about 6 months old I can finally bring myself to tear out pages I like and put them into my lever arch inspiration files - I have 4 files full of magazine pages, brochures, paint charts etc with inside and outside ideas that I can refer back to.
 
 
I'm proud to say I'm slowly getting through my magazine hoarding and culling the collection. Keeping what I like and then passing them onto friends ... I know they are going to be in good hands and it's one less thing collecting dust piled high in the corner of the study!  
 
What's your favourite magazine you just can't resist?
 
 
[All images my own]
 
Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. That like asking to name a favorite hild. I am terrible but only knew how bad it was when we were moving and I kept boxes of my favorite old issues. It's not healthy but now I try and buy on the iPad bc it was getting out of control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im thinking about buying an ereader so I can read my magazines online, but I just love the feel of the pages in my hand and looking at the images inside the magazine. You just cant get that from looking at a computer screen :)

      Delete
  2. I've never really subscribed to a magazine before, but I'm with you--if I had any, the home decor would be the hardest to throw away. Fashion ones come and go with each season, but decorating and recipes? Those are timeless and always useful ideas. I love that you're finding your old magazines new homes instead of just throwing them away! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it so much cheaper to subscribe than to buy them each month, but then I was lured into subscribing to extra titles as it didn't cost all that much more. Thanks a few of my friends have just bought their own homes so are loving the magazines even if they are a little old :)

      Delete
  3. Me tooooo! I thought my love of blogs might curb my mag addiction, but alas I no just have two time-wasters on the go! I subscribe to all the home mags plus In Style. That's a lot of mags each year! I keep a years worth on the shelf and do tear-outs into a folder after that. I like it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm mah all the home mags? Now I dont feel so bad! I dont mind In Style too its a pretty easy one to read :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds a bit like my operation this time last year! I had so many magazines and after packing them up 4+ times to move, I figured it's time to get rid of them (I gave mine all away).

    I don't buy magazines anymore, maybe Cosmo every now & then and I'll flick through the gossip mags at the shops but I'm finding my mag hit on pinterest! All the house & food inspo, minus the advertisements ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that would do it to me too, having to lug all that paper around from house to house. Pinterest is awesome for inspiration :)

      Delete
  5. I have culled my magazines to two, NZ House and Garden and Country living. Used to have them delivered but the postie insists on bending them in half and shoving them through the letterbox. So now the Newsagent hold them for me. xxx Rae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know that feeling of them being rammed into the mail box. That is a good idea to get the newsagent to hold them for you.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!